Here are two of my favorite Zucchini recipes before summerYUM officially ends…enjoy!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1 medium zucchini or 2 small (grated)
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (I used gluten-free)
- muffin cup liners if making cupcakes
1. Grate the zucchini and pat with a towel to get rid of some of the extra moisture.
2. Make cake according to the box directions (adjusting the water slightly so that it’s not too wet; I reduced the water by half) and fold in the zucchini.
3. Scoop the batter into the muffin cup liners (i used a mini muffin tin and a regular size) and bake according to the packaged directions. Enjoy!
*This ended up being a great snack to make with the kids. They filled the muffin cups, helped grate the zucchini and even helped scoop the batter into the mini muffin cups with a melon-baller. I also set out to get the kids into zucchini by helping. I told Paige that she would not be able to taste the zucchini in the chocolate but she was very skeptical. When she finally tasted them she told me I was right and that she loved the cupcakes…mission accomplished!
- 1 small zucchini (grated)
- 1/2 cup flour (or almond meal*)
- 1 egg
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped, or parsley)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
1. Mix the zucchini, flour (or almond meal), egg, green onions, cilantro, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Spoon zucchini mix into pan & cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 min per side. Enjoy!
*I used the almond meal because I’m trying to explore gluten-free options in our diet. It came out great!
This was originally posted on September 10, 2012 and has been updated for clarity.